A repeating event is any event that occurs on a regular basis. Rather than adding the event to the calendar over and over, you can set the event to repeat automatically. You can create and update repeating events on a browser and on Teamup’s mobile apps.
Recurrence patterns for events
When you create a repeating event, you can customize the recurrence pattern to be exactly what you need: specify the type of repetition and how many times each repeating event occurs.
Here are several examples of supported repeating event patterns:
- Weekly on Thursdays at 8:00AM, until December 31, 2018
- Every weekday at 8:00am, forever
- On the first Monday of every month at 10:00am, for 5 times
- Yearly on July 4, forever
How to create repeating events
On a browser
To create a repeating event:
- Check the Repeats box while editing an event to access the repeating options for the event.
- Choose between the Daily, Weekdays, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly options.
- Set an ending for the repeating event: forever, until a specified date, or for a certain number of recurrences.
- If desired, adjust the time zone for the recurring event.
- Select Done, then Save the event.
- Tap the green + button or tap in the calendar as usual to create a new event. Or, if the event already exists, tap to open it then tap the blue edit icon.
- In the event editor, tap the repeating field where the default shows Does not repeat.
- This will open a menu of recurrence patterns (daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly).
- Choose the initial recurrence pattern options and adjust as needed.
- Click the check mark in the top right to save the recurrence pattern, then save the event.
Examples of repeating events
To create an event that repeats on the third Tuesday of each month, for example:
- Create the first event on the third Tuesday of the first month that it should occur.
- In the Repeats options, set the repeating pattern to be monthly.
- Choose the 3rd Tuesday from the drop-down option and Save.
Here is an example of how to set an event to occur every 2 weeks, on every second Tuesday:
Note that you can also set the repetition to occur quarterly by choosing the Monthly option and setting Repeat every to 3. Click on Done, then Save the event.
How to update a repeating event
- Single: Apply change only to the currently edited event
- Future: Apply change to the currently edited event and all future events of this recurring event series.
- All Events: Apply change to all events in this recurring event series
If you apply the changes to a single event, the event will no longer be part of the recurring series. The rest of the event instances in the recurring series will be unchanged. This is useful when you have an ongoing program but the details vary for each recurring instance.
Similarly, you can change the recurrence pattern for an existing event series by editing any individual event and apply the changes to every event in the series or to the selected instance and all future events in the series.
Invalid recurrence rules
There are cases where repeating events can become invisible because no single date fulfills the recurrence pattern. If this is about to happen, saving an event is aborted and the following error is shown: