If your team is using Slack, the popular real-time messaging application, you may consider setting up Teamup-Slack integration, so that your team can be instantly notified of changes on your Teamup Calendar via Slack channels. It will help your team stay up to date on plans and schedules, streamline communication and reduce the number of emails that fill up your mailboxes.
This article is for a Teamup Calendar administrator to set up Slack integrations that post notifications to group channels. For non-calendar administrators, please check out this article for how to receive notifications about changes on your calendar via your private channel on Slack.
If you are currently using Slack but not Teamup Calendar, create a Teamup Calendar now. It is easy and free.
Teamup Calendar also supports notifications by email. The Slack integration makes it possible for you to receive pop-up alerts on desktop or mobile devices via Slack.
Setting up the integration
Step 1: Access the Slack Notifications setting
From the calendar administrator link, go to Settings, select Notifications > New > Slack Notifications:
Step 2: Obtain Slack authorization
Click the Add to Slack button. This will take you to Slack.com to obtain the necessary authorization as described in the next step.
If you click the Save button before obtaining the authorization, you will be prompted with an error.
Step 3: Authorize Teamup to post on Slack
First, select the Slack team that you want to integrate.
Then, select a group channel where you want to post the notifications, e.g. the #General channel.
Then, click the Authorize button to give Teamup permission to post messages to your selected Slack channel.
After authorizing Teamup, you will be redirected back to your Teamup Settings where you were in Step 2. Now you need to focus on the options in the lower part.
Step 4: Select the link and sub-calendar(s)
- Select a link with access permissions that are appropriate for all members of the group channel. Notifications posted on Slack will contain this link which allows members of the channel to click to open the calendar to see more details or take actions if needed. It is therefore very important to ensure that they are entitled to access the calendar with the permissions assigned to this link. In most cases, it is recommended to create a customized link specifically for the members of this slack channel, unless an existing link is appropriate for the channel.
- Choose to receive notifications for changes on all sub-calendars or only one or more specific sub-calendars.
- Choose to the type of changes you want to be notified: All changes, new events only, or important changes which include newly created events or time changes of existing events.
When done, click the Save button.
Please note changes of past events will only trigger notifications if the calendar is on a Premium plan.
Test the integration
Add, edit or delete a future dated event in your Teamup Calendar and wait for the post from Teamup to appear in the Slack channel you have chosen. It should happen within about 60 seconds. Click on the calendar name to open your Teamup Calendar and check that the correct link has been used in order to make sure that you have selected the intended link for the integration, in particular, that it is not a link with the administrator rights or other inappropriate modifying permissions.
In Settings > Notifications you have an overview of all existing notifications that have been set up by all users of the calendar including the administrator and non-administrators, including Slack integrations for both the group channels and private channels, email notifications, as well as Daily Agenda. You can add, edit or remove any of them here.
You may need to remove Slack integrations from your calendar for various reasons, including:
- You no longer need a Slack integration for any group channels.
- You have accidentally setup duplicate integrations and want to remove one or more.
- Any employees who have previously setup a Slack integration to post notifications to their private channels but have now left your organization.
There are two ways for a calendar administrator to remove Slack integrations:
- From your administrator link, go to Settings -> Notifications in your calendar and remove the entries for Slack notifications. This requires administrator access to your calendar.
- From your Slack app, go to the app directory and delete the integration with Teamup Calendar.